What is the course about?
The course introduces you to the basic techniques of playing the flute and gives you an insight into what is
involved in learning the instrument. It provides an excellent introduction to Flute 1 starting in September.
What will we cover?
- how to assemble and hold the flute correctly
- the correct mouth shape (embouchure) to play with good tone and intonation
- the principles of fingering and tonguing on the flute
- playing simple tunes by ear.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- assemble and hold your flute correctly
- play with the correct embouchure and produce a decent tone
- play a simple tune by ear
- improvise with a few notes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for absolute beginners.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through tutor demonstration and explanation, and playing with tutor guidance and feedback.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own instrument. The tutor will provide all other materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is designed to lead to Flute 1 starting in September.
You may also be interested in learning more about music reading through a Musicianship course.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details