What is the course about?
This course aims to encourage you to speak more freely. It will develop your listening skills while reinforcing your confidence and it will increase your knowledge of French. Ideal if you would like a course which is based on conversation. There will be a reinforcement of your listening skills via our online platform which will help you to prepare for the next lesson.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The various topics covered will lead to discussion and a better understanding of France and French speaking countries.
Topics covered will be agreed with the tutors at the beginning of the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- initiate and participate in a conversation
- express opinions and ideas
- intervene, check details, ask precise questions when conversing
- understandnews items more confidently
- develop listening comprehension from a variety of sources.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have a fairly high level of French. They should have completed at least French 3 Lower or have studied French for 4/5 years recently (post-B1 level or B2 level / A-level).
Please contact the languages department for advice firstname.lastname@example.org
It is also essential that you have some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation. It would be helpful if you had knowledge of more intermediate grammar terminology such as:subjunctive, conditional and pronouns.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do online homework between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on the tutor's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
French 3 upper: infos et discussion in term 2 or any other French courses at level 3 upper or 4.
There is a course aimed at developing your written skills which is scheduled every other week at the same time at this course (when this course is not takinf place) Please check the website for LF354 French3/4: Communication écrite
Please enrol as soon as possible as places cannot be guaranteed.