What is the course about?
This course aims to improve your oral and written fluency in French by reading and discussing extracts from newspaper articles, TV programmes and listening to authentic audio materials. You will also revise and consolidate grammar in order to improve your accuracy in the spoken and written language.
What will we cover?
The topics covered will lead to discussion and better understanding of France and French speaking countries.
Various grammar points will be treated according to the needs of the students. These might include: past tenses (passé-composé/imparfait and their difference), relative pronouns, adjectives, the conditional and the subjunctive.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- initiate and participate in a conversation related to various issues
- understand the gist of more advanced audio-visual materials/ films with confidence
- express opinions and ideas
- read more advanced texts/ articles with confidence
- use more complex grammatical structures orally and in writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have a fairly high level of French. They should have completed at least French 3 upper: module 1 or have studied French for 4 to 5 years recently.
It is also essential that you have some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation. It would be helpful if you had knowledge of more intermediate grammar terminology such as:subjunctive, conditional and pronouns.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on the tutor's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
French 3 upper: module 3. Please enrol as soon as possible as places cannot be guaranteed.