What is the course about?
This lively course will enable you to reinforce your French speaking and comprehension. You will acquire a level of language competency that enables you to communicate in most situations while your listening skills are constantly reinforced.
What will we cover?
A range of different topics will be introduced from everyday life and daily news using TV, radio and newspaper articles, covering topics such as education, environment, transport, science and technology, art, politics, news in brief etc. Suggestions and ideas will be discussed at the beginning of the term.
Grammar will only be covered on an ad-hoc basis.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- discuss current affairs more confidently
- express your opinion regarding cultural matters
- identify specific information from a radio/TV programme or from a film extract
- use grammar orally more accurately
- develop your understanding of French culture and society.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Ideally of you have completed French 4 or would like to build your confidence before joining a French 5 course. If you are not sure if this course is for you, please contact the languages department for advice. (email@example.com or 0207 492 2644)
It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: the subjunctive, the conditional, direct and indirect speech, pronouns.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The material will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
French 4/5 : info et discussion or French 4/5: pratice and perfectionnement: module 3. Ask advice to your tutor.