What is the course about?
The course consists of 9 sessions spread over the academic year (3 per term) during which we will have the opportunity as a group to share our reactions to and appreciation of a selection of novels from French and francophone authors.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
A range of works of fiction in French. During each session we will discuss various aspects of the novel in question : themes, plot, characters, style, originality etc. We will also discuss how successful we think the author has been in this particular work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- discover new works by authors you might not have considered reading before. You might want to do further reading of works by a writer we have discussed in class.
- have a greater ability to read and appreciate various French works of fiction, some more challenging than others
- express your opinion clearly and take part in group discussions in French.
- focus on particular aspects of a work of fiction, on particular writing styles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No special prior knowledge of French/francophone literature is needed but an advanced level of spoken French is
You should also have:
- an enthusiasm for reading a range of French texts, for discussing in French in large and small groups, where you
will be expected to take an interest in the responses of the other students to the work discussed.
- the willingness and ability to do some reading and preparation outside the class.
- a commitment to acquiring and developing ways of understanding how the writer uses language to achieve effect.
- you also need to understand grammatical terminology at a high level such as pronouns, direct & indirect speech, punctuation, choice of languages.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each month, the group will select a novel to be read before the group discussion at the following session . ( At the first session we will choose the novels for the following two sessions, in order to be always one book ahead in our selection and have sufficient time to buy the novels.).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are expected to obtain a copy of the books to be read. All the books will be available in paperback.
The first book to read prior to the fisrt session: "Colomba" by Prosper Merimee.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any other level 5 course.