Game design: a detailed introduction
Time: 10:00 - 12:10
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CGML01
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
Game design mixes design, art and programming to create a compelling interactive experience. We will cover how to create exciting game mechanics and how to visually programme, to bring your artwork to life, using Construct 3 software.
Construct 3 is a game engine popular with artists and coders as it’s easy to build your game idea without knowing how to code. You will be able to drag and drop your artwork into a level and quickly assign controls to your character, ready to play test.
This course will show you how to experiment with your game ideas using an agile and iterative design process that is used in many game design studios.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• How to design game mechanics for a Mario style platform game
• How to use the Construct 3 game engine (software)
• How to build a level with characters in Construct 3
• Game design theory with working examples
• Level design fundamentals and how to create engaging challenges
• How to brainstorm ideas for your game.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Create a playable 2D game through a web browser
• Design a Mario styled level with challenges
• Be proficient in the Construct 3 game engine
• Create a character that can move and jump
• Create enemies with different behaviours to challenge the player
• Apply artwork assets for your character and level environment
• Recognise basic and some intermediate level visual programming
• Utilise game design principles and theory
• Develop exciting game mechanics.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for anyone who wants to make a game, from beginners to intermediate game designers. No coding knowledge is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion as well as practical walk throughs of the software. There will also be periods of independent learning with the ability to ask the tutor for help. There will not be any work outside the class, but it is encouraged to keep experimenting and make improvements to your game before the next lesson.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
In this course will be using the game making software Construct3 https://www.construct.net/en. If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course. If you require more information please contact us on email@example.com.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Make your first Android mobile app, Introduction to Unity3D, Introduction to coding with Unity, Introduction to creative coding with Processing.
Hi. I'm Alex I have an MA in Game Design and have created games for online entertainment publications such as Kerrang!, Q, Grazia, and various sports brands. I'm a multidisciplinary designer and I create interactive experiences by combining art, design and code. The main idea I encourage and practice is to take something you know and mix it with new technology and techniques to create something with a twist and personal to you. What I learnt in game design I have applied to my interactive design, website and app projects.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.