Garden design for beginners
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VF427
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn the creative processes used to design gardens. You will be exploring the formal elements of garden design and methods of producing a successful garden plan. You will participate in group workshops and independent projects, including drawing plans and elevations, research and mood boards, and dipping your toe into the limitless and luxuriant world of planting!
What will we cover?
- The form and function of design elements
- Garden styles from formal to Arts and Craft cottage to contemporary urban spaces
- Bubble plans of a garden survey
- Different methods of conveying your ideas from online mood boards to elevation drawings
- Researching plant choices and landscape materials
- Learn to use scale and aspect for more accurate plans
- Learn to make considered choices in focal points and feature trees.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the formal elements of garden design and how to apply them
- Have an awareness of different garden styles and how to adopt them when designing
- Undertake visual research and compile moodboards
- Create the functional plan of a small garden to a brief, making both artistic and practical decisions
- Draw elevations of your chosen plants
- Understand how to use scale and aspect for more accurate plans.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course and no previous experience is necessary. This course is for anyone with an interest
in garden design.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, handouts and for
health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use
numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your English
and Maths skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a sketchbook to record visual ideas and/or notebook to take notes. Digital notes will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills with VF485 Start plants and planting design for your garden.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Patio Design and Planting, Planting Design, Botanical Drawing and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your creative and professional skills.
Patrick completed his studies in horticulture and planting design at Capel Manor in 2012. He runs a studio in South London and frequently collaborates with other designers. Patrick has been a lecturer in Garden Design at City Lit since 2016. http://www.patrickfeatherstone.com/about
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.