What is the course about?
The course is designed to provide safe and effective exercises at a suitable level for you to develop some cardiovascular fitness and flexibility, improve mobility, muscular strength and endurance. Develop physical and mental well-being through movement and physical activity, and improve your static and moving posture.
What will we cover?
Each class will include a warm up to mobilise joints and prepare the body, and an aerobic session to improve cardiovascular conditioning. We will do exercises to improve posture, strength, endurance and balance. You will have the option of lying on a mat or performing the exercises whilst sitting on a chair. The class will end with stretching and relaxation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform various co-ordinated moves
- Perform particular stretches and understand how to develop flexibility
- Maintain better posture
- Maintain and improve joint mobility and flexibility
- Modify exercises to suit your own level.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge or experience is required. You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstrations, explanations and corrections by the tutor. There will be practical work to music, and working in pairs and groups as well as individually.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear comfortable clothing and supportive, soft-soled footwear, and bring a drink of water.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress to do other suitable exercise classes with the Health and Lifestyle department.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details