What is the course about?
This course will give you the tools to hold simple / survival conversations during a visit in a German speaking country.
What will we cover?
1. simple conversation when you’re out and about-say hello and goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc)
2. Buy items in shops, ask about prices
3. Order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. Ask for directions
5. Numbers including the time
6. At the hotel
7. Buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. At the chemist
9. Cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café) which may be different from the UK.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. have a simple conversation when you’re out & about-say hello & goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc)
2. buy items in shops, ask about and understand prices
3. order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. ask for directions
5. say and understand numbers including the time
6. hold a simple conversation at the hotel/ aprtment/ bnb
7. buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. hold a simple converstaion at the chemist
9. understand cultural differences (e.g. tipping, paying in a café).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners' course - No previous knowledge of the language is required.
You will need to be able to understand basic spoken and written information in English (e.g. simple instructions, course documents) and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The emphasis is on speaking and listening. Methods include pair work and group work, and role play.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
This course is based on tutors' own materials. You will just need to bring a pen and paper.
Course includes reference booklet for students with some of the following questions/phrases/situations:
• Can you repeat, please?
• I don’t eat meat. I’m vegetarian/vegan
• Can I have a bag please? ( in the supermarket)
• Do you speak English? I don’t speak…/I don’t understand.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any complete beginner course starting in September.