Getting job ready: identifying the most sought work skills and how you can develop them
Time: 18:15 - 20:45
This course is FREE if you are a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: EJR02
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is about improving your job aspects by enabling you to identify and learn about the skills, behaviours and strengths that employers are looking for across different sectors, industries, jobs and job levels. These are the qualities you need regardless of whether you are the chef in a kitchen or the manager of a retail company. However, how these behaviours and skills are manifested will be different. For example, most jobs require good communication skills but what is required of a manager or chef might be different. You will work on identifying these sought after different qualities, how to exemplify them from your own work as well as discovering where you need to develop them. You will practise relating your skills-set to different jobs as well as applying for work and preparing for interviews. You will work on interview techniques as well as other types of activities asked for by employers.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• what are the most in-demand skills, behaviours and strengths for jobs across different sectors, industries and jobs?
• what do these different skills, behaviours and strengths involve across different sectors, industries and jobs and levels?
• identifying which of these skills, behaviours and strengths do I have?
• which of these skills, behaviours and strengths do I need to have for the work I am looking for?
• which of these skills, behaviours and strengths do I need to develop and how can I do this?
• how to exemplify the skills, behaviours and strengths I have in job applications and interviews both online and face-to-face
• how to do well in interview and other job selection processes both online and face-to-face.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify the most in-demand skills, behaviours and strengths for jobs across different sectors, industries and jobs?
• identify what these different skills, behaviours and strengths involve across different sectors, industries and jobs and levels?
• identify which of these skills, behaviours and strengths you have?
• identify which of these skills, behaviours and strengths you need to have for the work you am looking for?
•identify which of these skills, behaviours and strengths you need to develop and how you can do this?
•exemplify your most in-demand and appropriate skills, behaviours and strengths in job applications and interviews both online and face-to-face
•do well in interview and other job selection processes both online and face-to-face.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all but you do need to have good communicative English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover matters rather than just be told. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. For example:
• Workplace skills: how to write an impacting CV and covering letter
• Effective decision-making for new managers: analysing, problem-solving problem-preventing, strategic thinking
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
However, there are many more workplace and work-skills oriented courses. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511.