What is the course about?
This course will give you an overview of what the Functional Skills Level 2 English qualification involves and ensure you have the means to progress onto the full accreditation. You will develop your formal discussion skills. You will practise reading and analying level 2 texts such as factual pieces, opinion pieces, letters and emails to identify the main points, find details, recognise tone and purposes, and specify structure. You will develop your writing of different texts to ensure that your structure, layout, tone, style and content are appropriate and effective.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will examine some of the key areas necessary to be ready for a Functional Skills L2 exam. These will include:
giving evidence to support your views in both speaking and writing about important, complex topics
identifying key points made in both formal discussions and different types of writing about important topics
identifying the tone and purpose in acts of speech and writing e.g. newspaper articles or work writing
analysing the structures of different pieces of writing
creating coherence in writing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify if you are ready for Level 2 Functional Skills both in language skills and commitment to the course
• give evidence to support your views in both speaking and writing especially about complex and important topics
• identify key points made in both formal discussions and different types of writing about important topics
• identify the tone and purpose in acts of speech and writing e.g. newspaper articles or work writing
• analyse the structures of different pieces of writing
• create coherence in writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is to ensure you are ready for a Level 2 Functional Skills accredited course. You need to come to class every week and have the time, means and dedication to work outside the classroom. You will need to do an initial pre-course assessment before being accepted onto this course. You will need to pass this course before you can go the full accredited Level 2 course. If you do not, we will recommend other courses for you.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be interactive and dynamic. During the class you will work in pairs or small groups, and sometimes as a whole group. There is an emphasis on student production and engagement. Your tutor will also work with you individually. You will be need to do regular homework of up to 3 hours a week and work on gradual improvements. Google Classroom will be used to help you do work outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a lined A4 writing pads, pen, a folder for assignments and any other appropriate stationery. You will be expected to maintain a course folder of handouts and your assignments. If you are on a low income you may be able to apply to the Bursary Fund for help with the costs of the course (e.g. fares, books, materials). Access to a computer is beneficial.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
After this course, you can graduate to the L2 accredited course.
If you wish to develop your English further you could join our other English classes such as:
• Develop your English: reading for pleasure (Level 1-2)
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing: through grammar (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for the workplace and beyond: concision, coherence and organisation (Level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for the workplace and beyond: analysing, comparing and critically evaluating (Level 2)
• Develop your writing for the workplace and beyond: tone, register, style (Level 2)
We also run Maths and Digital Skills courses to help you particularly in the workplace.
For more information contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511.