Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
Time: 18:15 - 20:15
You need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 8078 0489 for a face-to-face assessment or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). The course runs over three terms (though you may start any term, places allowing).
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: HES45
Choose a start date
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is for very competent users of English who want to consolidate and extend their grammar to use advanced structures more accurately in speaking and writing. The grammar will be set in different, challenging contexts – such as current affairs, art, culture - which will require you to use complex forms in order to express yourself accurately. The emphasis will be on the accurate use of grammar as well as understanding how grammar affects meaning.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
A variety of different grammatical structures will be covered depending on the needs of the group. The main areas likely to be included are:
• uses and meaning of perfect verb forms
• uses and meaning of continuous vs simple verb forms
• when and how to use the passive
• how to use grammar to make your writing/speech more formal e.g. negative adverbials followed by word order inversion
• the use and non-use of the passive
• how to talk generally
• use of abstract nouns and relative clauses
• use of the article and non-article
• verbs followed by particles/prepositions
• use of infinitives and –ing forms
• different ways of talking about the future.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• express yourself with a high degree of accuracy paying attention to correct form and how grammar can affect meaning
• use and understand your use of all perfect forms so you can articulate the differences in meaning
• distinguish the different uses and meanings of continuous vs simple forms
• talk about the future in different ways
• identify which grammatical elements can change your writing/speech into a more formal language
• accurately combine abstract nouns and relative clauses
• combine a range of verbs and prepositions/particles accurately
• identify when to use infinitives vs –ing forms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 2+ (C1-C2). It is particularly helpful to students who need to focus on the details of English grammar and how to use grammar to develop meaning.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English: Advanced, CAE)
• English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE)
• ESOL - communication skills for life and work (level 2 speaking and listening)
• ESOL - communication skills for life and work (level 2 reading and writing)
• Business English communication skills: from negotiating to report writing to presentations (level 2)
• Business English communication skills: communicating, managing, selling (level 2)
• English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)
• Business English communication skills: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• ESOL: Develop your writing: grammar, vocabulary, expression (advanced)
• ESOL and making podcasts: pronunciation, presentation, expression (level 1-2)
You can also do classes in the maths and digital skills areas. These include:
• Essential digital skills for the workplace: Word, Excel and PowerPoint (foundation-level 1)
• Business administration: using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access in the office (intermediate)
• Essential digital skills for work (Level 1)
• Becoming data literate: how to present data for work or study (level 2)
• Becoming data literate: understanding data and how it is presented from pie-charts to bell curves (level 2)
• Maths for business: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 4582 0423.