What is the course about?
Learners on this course will develop their grammar skills for writing, reading, speaking and listening. The grammar will always be set within interesting and relevant topics and the emphasis will be on the accurate use of grammar to say or write what you mean. We set targets and review them regularly, so individual key areas needing attention are given special focus.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will study grammar in the context of speaking and writing about topics which relate to life in the UK, looking for work, communicating at work, study skills, socialising & education, cultural life & community. The grammar we cover will include:
• verbs tenses and forms such as past simple, present perfect simple vs present perfect continuous, past perfect
• different conditional (if-clauses)
• definite and indefinite articles.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel more confident in your use of grammar to express yourself accurately and to talk about the world
• use verb tenses and forms such as past simple, present perfect simple vs present perfect continuous, past perfect in both speaking and writing with a good degree of accuracy
• talk and write about different possibilities using 'if'
•use a rang of adjectives effectively to describe people, places and things
• be more confident in your use of prepositions
• talk and write about topics in general with good use of definite and indefinite or no article (the/a/an).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Entry 3-Level 1 (B1-B2). It is particularly helpful to students who are moving from Entry 3 to Level 1 and finding this change difficult. You will need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic and creative course with a lot of interaction and opportunities to practise. The grammar will always be in the context of interesting and engaging topics.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do after or at the same time as this course. You could join one of our general ESOL courses at Entry 3 or Level 1. There are many courses without an exam. For example:
ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3-level 2)
Office Skills for ESOL students (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Finding a Better Job (entry 3-level 1)
Grammar in Practice: Intermediate (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Improve your fluency (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Develop your listening skills (level 1)
ESOL communicating at work: customer care (entry 3-level 1)
Your tutor will advise you on the best course.