Grammar in practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2)
Time: 09:45 - 12:15
Location: Keeley Street
You need to do a pre-course assessment face-to-face or online. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / (telephone temporarily unavailable) or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name).
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
Check your level
Course Code: HES05
Choose a start date
Duration: 8 sessions (over 9 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is for confident users of English who want to review, consolidate and extend their grammar to
speak and write more accurately. You will improve all aspects of your English by focusing on using complex forms of grammar including different verb tenses at the same time. The emphasis will be on the use of grammar as well as understanding how grammar affects meaning.
What will we cover?
A variety of different grammatical structures will be covered depending on the needs of the group. The main areas likely to be included are:
• how and when to use the perfect verb forms
• how and when to use continuous vs simple verb forms
• how and when to use to use the passive and active voices
•how and when to use modals including past modals – could have, should have, will have
• how and when to use reported speech
•how and when to use if-clauses and their meanings.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use narrative verb forms accurately and distinguish present perfect, past perfect and future perfect uses in a variety of settings
• articulate the different meanings of perfect forms and use them effectively in a variety of settings
•articulate the different meanings of simple and continuous forms and use them effectively e.g. to talk about main and background information
• use past modals accurately and fluently in a variety of settings
• use reported speech accurately
• identify when and how to use the passive vs active voices and use them effectively in a variety of settings
• identify the meaning of different if-clauses and use them effectively in a variety of settings.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 1-Level 2 (B2-C1). It is particularly helpful to students who need the clarification on the main aspects of English grammar. You will need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover grammar rules and features. The grammar will always be in the context of interesting and engaging topics and you will focus on how you use it. The course will be dynamic and creative with a lot of interaction – you will work in pairs, small groups and sometimes as a whole class. Your tutor will also work with you individually. You will need to do some homework every week and use Google Classroom outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• ESOL level 1 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 1 (reading and writing)
• ESOL level 2 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 2 (reading and writing)
• Develop your writing and language skills (level 1-level 2)
• ESOL for hospitality: front of house (level 1-2)
• ESOL pronunciation: stage 1 (level 1-2)
• Learn English - discover London, its history, culture and people (level 1 - level 2)
• Advanced English writing skills: how to write creatively, expressively and clearly (level 2)
• ESOL: Develop your writing through grammar (advanced)
• Communication skills: read well, write well (level 1-level 2)
• English for professionals: communicating, managing, selling (Level 2)
• Communicating at work: formal, informal and being polite (level 1)
• ESOL Communicating at work: letters, emails, memos, notes, meetings and presentations (level 1)
• English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)
• Matters of opinion (level 2)
• Writing skills in practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2)
• Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
• ESOL and making podcasts: pronunciation, presentation, expression (level 1-2)
There also many maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more details. These include:
• Maths for life and work (foundation) / (level 1)
• Business administration: maths for administrators (level 1-2)
• Finance planning: taking back control - how to budget successfully
• Essential digital skills for the workplace: Word, Excel and PowerPoint (foundation-level 1).