What is the course about?
This course is about letting go of the unhelpful ‘starving artist in a garret’ mythology so endemic in the industry and instead becoming an entrepreneurial author who can make a real income from their writing. We will challenge your working practices and create a positive action plan to move you forward in your writing career.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The entrepreneurial mindset for authors.
• Developing a professional writing practice.
• Understanding, researching and working with the market.
• Publishing choices.
• Sources of income for writers and making them work for you.
• Money blocks.
• Marketing essentials.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You will reassess what is needed to make a living as a writer and develop an entrepreneurial approach to your writing career. This will include:
• Understanding what helps a book be successful.
• Understand the publishing choices you may need to make.
• Identifying multiple sources of writing income and how best to combine these.
• Understanding the importance of the market (and how to research elements of this).
• Making a commitment to working in a different way that is more likely to bring you financial success.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at students who are either writing a novel or have finished their manuscript. Students should be close to publication or have published fairly recently. The emphasis is likely to be on fiction. We will cover some aspects of non-fiction however and poets, short story writers and creative non-fiction writers are welcome to come along and adapt the teaching to their own genre.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through a mix of pair work, group work, discussion and formal instruction from the tutor. You will also develop an action plan to take home and work on, as we will identify plenty of activities for you to develop your writing career.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a range of professional development courses for authors including Self-publishing: an introduction, How to write a novel synopsis, Approaching an agent and more. For full details browse the City Lit website.