HTML5 & CSS: intermediate (stage 2)
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Hybrid (choose either online or in-person)
This course will be delivered online or in person. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This course follows on from our very popular HTML & CSS: introduction (stage 1) course. In this course you will learn how to structure and design the layout of a web page, add videos, maps and sound to a page, improve typography using web fonts, add simple web forms and create modern grid based layouts using CSS
Participants who will attend the full course will receive a City Lit certificate of attendance electronically for their CV or CPD records. The certificate will show your name, course title and dates of the course you have attended.
You can choose to attend this course either live online or in person.
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Use Elements like header, nav, section and footer to structure your web page
• Nesting structural elements to create more complex layouts
• Understanding the CSS box model
• Use modern CSS techniques like flexbox to control layout
• Use iFrames to embed video, maps and audio in your web page
• Use Web Fonts to enhance your web typography
• Create simple web forms using HTML input types, form elements and attributes
• Create a nav bar from a simple list using CSS.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Give your pages a consistent look and feel with CSS
• Describe the CSS box model
• Set positioning and layout with CSS flexbox
• Use HTML5 Semantic Elements to define different parts of a web page
• Embed video/audio files into your web pages
• Use Google Web Fonts in your pages
• Design HTML forms using the most common input types
• Design a navigation bar.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will be expected to have completed the HTML5 & CSS: stage 1 course or have equivalent knowledge. If you have not studied the HTML5 & CSS: stage 1 course, please check the course outline to see that you are familiar with what was covered.
You will also need good basic computing and file management knowledge. You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will follow HTML and CSS demonstrations by a tutor, complete practical coding tasks with support and be able to ask questions and receive feedback. Any homework tasks will be optional.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No, there are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our web development courses or click here to view our Digital Marketing and Social media courses.
Disclaimer: Use of Third-Party Software
This course might require you to either use your own personal account or create an account for the purposes of this course. City Lit cannot accept any responsibility for any failings of the third party or provide technical support. Whilst using the software you will be responsible for abiding by the providers terms and conditions and maintaining your own work.
George graduated with a degree in Art,Design and Media and soon after became interested in the burgeoning web design industry. He started learning HTML and associated web design skills and later worked for design agencies and as a freelance designer on a variety of projects ranging from large corporations to small businesses. After dipping his toe into the teaching pool, George found he really enjoyed sharing his skills with others and helping them to achieve their goals and has been teaching for Visual Arts at City Lit since 2012. The thing he enjoys most about teaching at City Lit is the wide range of interesting people he meets at work.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.