What is the course about?
This course will teach you how to use HTML5 and CSS to create simple web pages using the free source code editor Notepad++.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Introduction to HTML5 and an overview of the World Wide Web
• Structure of Uniform Resource Locators
• Understanding the structure of a web page
• Meta tags and search engines
• Validating web pages
• Using CSS to style and format a webpage
• Using Hyperlinks in your webpages.
• Inserting images into webpages
• Creating lists and tables
• More on styles: the id and class Selectors.
• Publish websites through the FTP intranet server.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Create HTML5 documents and define Meta tags.
• Create simple web pages incorporating text and images.
• Apply Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to format your web pages.
• Set formatting to style a single element or a group of elements.
• Create tables using the new HTML5 elements and attributes.
• Insert hyperlinks into your webpage
• Plan and structure a simple web site in which a number of pages are linked together.
• Upload your website to the FTP intranet server and test it with various browsers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at beginners to HTML5 & CSS.
You should have knowledge of :
• Basic file management (opening, saving, copying and moving files on a computer)
• Using the World Wide Web (www)
• Using a simple Word Processor or text editor
You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions and add, subtract, multiply and divide.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Step by step instruction/ demonstration and hands on exercises to practice HTML code and CSS syntax which will help you grasp all concepts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
HTML5 and CSS: intermediate (stage 2), WordPress: introduction, build a website in to two sessions with WordPress, Introduction to email marketing using MailChimp.