What is the course about?
Apart from the material in the textbook (MagyarOK 1), the teacher will provide the class with supplementary material (authentic texts, videos, audio materials, etc.). The textbook includes online material with lots of useful additional materials such as the answer keys to exercises, vocabulary and a collection of useful expressions for each unit, all the audio recordings, and grammatical explanations.
During the course there will be lots of opportunities to do project work according to the students’ interest in case students have extra time. read less.
What will we cover?
• Hungarian cuisine
• How to reschedule a booking, how to reserve tickets
• Media: TV, radio and newspaper
• A short Hungarian Oscar-winning film: Sing
• Hobbies and DIY
• Going on holiday
• Going abroad.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• describe customs of a country
• make simple telephone calls about orders and tickets
• talk about your habits of using the media
• describe your hobbies and how objects can be made
• ask questions and answer about the weather
• talk about your holiday plans
• interview other people about their last holiday
• write messages in emails and write postcards.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is intended for learners who have completed Hungarian 2: module 1, or who have an equivalent level (roughly one year of study).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students only need to have the textbook titled MagyarOK1. The teacher will provide students with photocopies for the first two sessions and will help to arrange ordering the book. The costs will be about £20.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Hungarian 2: module 3 (LHG23).