What is the course about?
To develop intermediate communication skills for daily conversation topics and extend your knowledge by working on more complex grammatical structures and functions.
All four skills (reading, listening, speaking and writing) are practised with particular emphasis on spoken/conversational language.
During the course there will be lots of opportunities to do project work according to the students’ interest and students' extra time.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Based on units 3 & 4 of MagyarOK 2
The topics covered are varied: free time activities, music, sport, films, museums, adventures, Hungarian beauty spots.
The units of MagyarOK continuously revise various grammar points and gradually extend them. The main focus will be on the relative clause, the past tense, time expressions and related suffixes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- talk about how you spend your free time
- introduce famous people
- make joint programmes, plans with a friend
- arrange, order tickets on the phone
- talk about your favourite film, music, music festival, sport
- describe interesting places in your town
- interview other people about their last holiday
- tell people about a past event, stories
- write messages in emails.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is intended for learners who have completed Hungarian 4: module 1, or who have an equivalent level (roughly three years of study).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students only need to have the textbook titled MagyarOK2. The teacher will provide students with photocopies for the first two sessions and will help to arrange ordering the book. The costs will be about £20.
Apart from the material in the textbook (MagyarOK 2), the teacher will provide the class with supplementary material (authentic texts, videos, audio materials, etc.). The textbook includes online material with lots of useful additional materials such as the answer keys to exercises, vocabulary and a collection of useful expressions for each unit, all the audio recordings, and grammatical explanations.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Hungarian 4: Module 3.