What is the course about?
On this short practical course you will learn how to generate and develop creative design ideas for packaging in response to a professional brief. You will realise your ideas using the professional software Adobe Illustrator CC to combine text and image in exciting ways to fit your packaging specifications.
What will we cover?
- Current successful packaging design
- The relationship between branding and target audience
- Responding creatively to a packaging design brief
- Roughing out your designs
- Realising your design in Adobe Illustrator CC.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have an awareness of successful packaging design
- understand the relationship between branding and target audience
- respond creatively to a packaging design brief
- create design roughs of your packaging design ideas
- realise your design using a range of tools and processes in Adobe Illustrator CC.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.You are expected to have a basic knowledge of computing and be able to open, save and find files, use a keyboard and a mouse.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your digital design skills further with VG160 Designing with Illustrator and InDesign. City Lit offer a range of courses in Graphic Design, Illustration, Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign to enhance your Design practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details