What is the course about?
This course will help you recognise and apply various spelling rules and patterns and use different memory techniques to make spelling easier. For example,we will look at spellings with short and long vowel sounds, how to spell plurals, use phonics and recognise 'silent' letters. We will also examine how some punctuation affects the meanings of words.
What will we cover?
We will cover a variety of different spelling patterns and rules including:
• spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• using phonics to help with spelling
• spelling rules for plural nouns
• recognising when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes
• different memory strategies
• commonly mis-spelt words.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be more confident in your spelling of common words
• write whole texts or paragraphs with accurate spelling
•recognise and use spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• recognise and use spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• use phonics to help with spelling
• recognise and usespelling rules for plural nouns
• recognise when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• identify how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes and punctuate accurately
•identify and use different memory strategies
• correctly spell commonly mis-spelt words.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who speak English fluently but need help with their writing, specifically their spelling. It is aimed at E3-Level 1 learners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will be in a supportive and dynamic group setting, and involve pair and small group work. You will learn and discover different spelling patterns in contexts which engage you. The interactive whiteboard, computers and handouts will help your learning. You will be given homework on a regular basis.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of courses you can do at the same time or after this course including English for the Office with Digital Skills. You may also be able to join one of our English for Life courses.