What is the course about?
Adobe InDesign is the key desktop publishing software used to create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines and books. In this stage 1 course you will learn how to plan and design a publication, construct simple advertisments and layout a multi-column page.
This course is taught on Apple Mac.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Mac computer and its operating system.
- Introduction to InDesign for print production.
- Introduction to key desktop publishing (DTP) concepts and terms.
- How to plan and design a publication.
- Setting up a single-page document.
- Basic text formatting.
- Placing text set in a word processing program, and placing image and graphics.
- Wrapping text around images and shapes and insetting text in a frame
- Setting up a multi-page document.
- Basic introduction to master pages, working with style sheets and working with colour.
- Exporting a document for print.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Construct simple advertisements.
- Layout a multi column page.
- Identify and place correct image file formats for print.
- Apply text formatting and create save and apply a Paragraph Style.
- Wrap text around an object
- Export a basic pdf for print
- Package work to archive it for future use.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners to InDesign. You should be familiar with the basics of computing, although this does not need
to be on Apple Macs. You should be able to work confidently with the keyboard and mouse in either a word
processing or a creative creative software program
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer.
Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes.
Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
InDesign: stage 2.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details