What is the course about?
You will be introduced to perspective drawing, which can be partially measured, using plan and elevation drawings to scale as source. You will also learn how to read and draw simple plans and elevations to scale. Material will be user friendly.
What will we cover?
- An introduction on how to use drawing tools and materials
- Learn how to use plans and elevations to scale to develop a perspective drawing
- You will start with a short introduction to formal drawing and finish with perspective views of a space.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use equipment and materials with confidence
- Understand the use of scale in drawing
- Be able to read basic plans and elevations to scale
- Draw furniture on plan and elevation
- Understand the concept of a perspective drawing, beginner’s level
- Research and document related information using your sketchbook
- Follow good studio practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The short course is beginners level and suitable for all who would like to add formal drawing to their creative skills. It can be used to prepare for computer aided design and interior design courses.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A mixture of ‘hands on ‘ workshops, demonstrations, group discussion, individual drawing advice and examples of interior designers' drawings. This course requires no homework but you may enjoy practicing some of the topics in your sketchbook.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It is recommended to have a sketch book to record visual ideas.
You will need to get:
1 pad of A3 drawing paper (420x297mm)
1 pad of A3 tracing paper
Please also make sure that you have these important drawing tools:
- pencils (between 2H and B pencil) and sharpener
- 1 scale ruler, showing 1:10, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 etc.
- 1 ruler 30 cm long
- 45º Set square, 21 cm long
- 30º / 60º Set square, 30 cm long, smaller set squares will make it difficult to draw
- masking tape
- circular template or/and compass
- a pen such as a pigment liner: 1.00mm 0.5mm,0.3 mm
- measuring tape (5m).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with VF500 City Lit interior design course.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Interior Design, Vector Works, SketchUp Pro, Axonometric Drawing, model making, Photoshop and Illustrator to enhance your Interior Design practice.