What is the course about?
You will be introduced to perspective drawing, which can be partially measured, using plan and elevation drawings to scale as source. You will also learn how to read and draw simple plans and elevations to scale. Material will be user friendly.
What will we cover?
- An introduction how to use architectural drawing tools and materials
- Learn how to use plans and elevations to scale to develop a perspective drawing
- You will start with an introduction to formal drawing and finish with perspective views of a space.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use equipment and materials with confidence
- Understand the use of scale in drawing
- Be able to read basic plans and elevations to scale
- Draw furniture on plan and elevation
- Understand the concept of a perspective drawing, beginner’s level
- Research and document related information using your sketchbook
- Follow good studio practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The short course is beginners level and suitable for all who would like to add formal drawing to their creative skills. It can be used to prepare for computer aided design and interior design courses.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A mixture of ‘hands on ‘ workshops, demonstrations, group discussion, individual drawing advice and examples of interior designers' and architects' drawings. This course requires no homework but you may enjoy practicing some of the topics in your sketchbook.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a sketch book to record visual ideas, a folder for filing course handouts. All other materials will be provided.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with VF500 City Lit interior design course.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Interior Design, Vector Works, SketchUp Pro, Axonometric Drawing, model making, Photoshop and Illustrator to enhance your Interior Design practice.