What is the course about?
Become familiar with the sewing machine, learning how to thread up and use the machine safely and competently. Practice machine stitching different seams, hems and inserting a zip. Basic materials included.
What will we cover?
There will be plenty of ideas to inspire you to refresh your home and start making. Sewing projects are perfect for
beginners as well as those with some experience and can be made pretty quickly. We will cover how to plan,
choose fabric and calculate quantities, how to cut out and construct your chosen project using simple construction
methods including inserting a zip. We will look at how you can get your own inspiration and adapt a design to suit
you. Sample ideas for you to make will include: tea towels, table-cloths and bed runners, napkins, storage bags
and aprons, cushions and sample-sized basic curtains.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate competence in setting up and use of the sewing machine.
- Use the machine to stitch practical seams and hems and complete small projects for the home
As a beginner:
- you will learn how to set up and use the Bernina sewing machine confidently to make basic seams and hems and other practical stitches.
- you will learn how to choose suitable fabrics and calculate quantities for your project
- plan and complete a small project for the home
As an intermediate student:
- you will explore a range of stitches on the sewing machine and use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing. You will learn how to select a project and adapt a design to your own choice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For beginners or those who wish to improve their basic sewing machine skills.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for
health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use
numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through demonstrations, discussions, workshop practice, one to one instruction and guidance. All work can be
completed during the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be supplied for samples, handouts will be provided but a notebook and pencil would be useful for
taking notes etc. If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit
students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will
advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount.
Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?