Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VR785
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This is a 6 day ceramics course which gives opportunity to plan, develop and make your personal ideas as the
What will we cover?
- Consideration of what makes a finished piece of work successful / convincing
- Designing and planning personal work using a range of hand building techniques
- Investigation and experimentation of surface treatment and texture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Plan your own work
- Creatively explore texture, colour and glaze application on and into the clay surface
- Use clay, slips, glaze, oxides and commercial colours
- Make a piece or pieces of work using a combination of different hand building techniques such as coiling and
pinching and press moulding and or slab building
- Build by extruding and or modelling and hollowing
- Assemble and alter clay components.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for people who already have some clay making experience and wish to add to their hand
building with clay experience. It is helpful to this course if you are familiar with the process required to reach a
finished fired result.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Examples of work, group discussion, hands on work, demonstrations, design research work outside the course is
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The college will supply basic materials, there may be other materials that may be bought at cost from the college.
There is a charge of £2.00 per 500g for clay before firing, the porcelain charge is £20:00 per bag/ £10:00 per half bag.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You could progress onto the City Lit Ceramics course - VR710, the Ceramics Portfolio Course - VR711, Ceramics diploma Course - VA712, all of which are structured courses that can lead to higher education or independent studio practice.
There are a variety of ceramic classes during the day and evening. See the course guide for term dates and further details.