What is the course about?
This short online course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make personal pieces of beaded jewellery. You will learn how to make a range of beaded objects from necklaces to tiaras.
You will use beginners stringing and knotting techniques, look at beaded jewellery design and patterns and learn about bead wire corsage techniques.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Which tools and beads to use for beaded jewellery making
- How to make a knotted bead bracelet/necklace and earrings using silk and cotton threads
- Bead-stringing patterns: create a necklace that demonstrates one or more of these patterns
- Which findings to use and how to attach them
- Wire twisting methods to make a simple wire and bead corsage
- How to use appropriate glues for beaded jewellery
- Understand the layout of an online bead shop and what to buy if required.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Confidently design and make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- Buy beaded jewellery materials and tools online for your own projects and commissions
- Construct a corsage, earrings, bracelets and necklaces
- Make or choose appropriate findings for each design
- Build on your beaded jewellery techniques, whatever level you are
- Know when and how to use glue cleanly and effectively in your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels welcome, from complete beginners to accomplished jewellers wishing to try out a new medium.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be taught online using Zoom and Google Classroom through weekly live sessions and video demonstrations to the group.
Feedback, Q & A and group chats using Google classroom and online Zoom sessions are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will require a good broadband connection, a comfortable chair and a desk with good lighting. You will also need basic beading materials such as pliers, wire, beads, silk thread and cotton thread – guidance will be given on Google Classroom and emailed to you in advance.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to
advanced, and for professional development. General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from our website.