Introduction to cyber security essentials
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: CYB03
Duration: 1 session
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This is an introductory course in Cyber security and network vulnerability. It will cover
the different types of current threats and risks that can damage your personal or business data and provide you with the necessary tools to protect your data.
What will we cover?
1. Different types of Cyber Security
2. Type of Threats and Hacker techniques and how they can harm your data
3. Network and Wireless security
4. Recovering from attacks: What steps to take if you suspect a security breach
5. Defending against viruses and malware
6. Outline all essential steps you have to take to protect personal or business data
7. Recognise emerging security risks of social media
8. Secure your accounts and passwords, online banking, online shopping, cloud accounts and social media accounts
9. Shield your PC/ Mac /mobile phone / IOS / android device etc
10. Learn how to browse privately and secure your online activity
11. Introducing the different types of professional Network security tool firewalls, virtual private networks (VPN), intrusion detection and prevention.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Summarise different types of Cyber Security
2. Identify risks and remove security threats.
3. Apply Network and Wireless security
4. Defend your data against viruses and malware.
5. Identify emerging security risks of social media.
6. Protect your accounts and passwords, online banking, online shopping, cloud accounts and social media accounts
7. Protect your PC/ Mac /mobile phone / IOS / android device etc.
8. Be familiar with the different types of professional Network security tool such as firewalls, virtual private networks (VPN), intrusion detection and prevention.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course which requires familiarity with using the internet.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer. Presentations will be made using the computer, whiteboard and overhead screen. Handouts and any other materials will be provided by your tutor.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs added to this course. You may want to bring a pen and paper to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Stay safe online, introduction to artificial intelligence, introduction to robotics.
Sarah has worked as a lecturer for over 30 years with a number of different providers within the Technology sector. She has also worked as an IT Trainer, delivering bespoke IT training to internal staff within Solicitors and Pension Actuary firms. Sarah gained her first class honours degree in Business Information Systems in 2003 whilst working full time and studying part time to achieve this. Her dissertation was “On the Barriers older users face whilst using the Internet” the research that was carried out has been invaluable in her teaching adults digital skills. She is patient and understanding and look forward to seeing you in one of her classes.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.