What is the course about?
Recognise how the basic principals of garden design can help you add an extra room in your garden. Learn how to select materials and plants suitable for your needs and environment to harmoniously link the house with the garden. Add interest and drama to create a well planned, considered layout while still designing a functional space.
** Please bring a printed selection of design ideas from magazines or the internet to your first class.
What will we cover?
- The principles and styles of garden design
- How to measure and analysis your space to draw your plan to scale
- How to research for inspiration and create a mood board for your style
- How to combine hard landscaping with planting for your garden
- How to successfully integrate the house and garden with design techniques to maximise your space.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw your garden plan to scale 1:50
- Create a mood board as your style guide for hard landscaping and planting
- Recognise the rules that help make a successful garden design
- Suggest methods of creating privacy and reducing noise for your design
- Create a simple planting combination for your garden.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is course is suitable for beginners. If you have an existing garden design you will learn how to improve key aspects of your layout, planting etc.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be a combination of practical workshops, lectures, informal group discussions and demonstrations taught in the classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic drawing equipment including scale rulers will be provided. In addition students should bring an A4 pad of layout paper, scrapbook, pencil, eraser, and a couple of fine point black fibre tip pens. Please also bring a printed selection of ideas from magazines or the internet to your first class.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Compliment your skills with VK495 Start Botanical illustration or VY405 Photographing gardens around London.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Patio Design and Planting, Planting Design, Botanical Drawing and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your creative and professional skills.