What is the course about?
In this course you will be introduced to the wonderful Feldenkrais method and explore awareness through movement (ATM). You will be encouraged to bring more focus to your own habitual movement patterns and stresses and discover new easier movement patterns. This can lead to feeling more at ease, with a better quality of movement in everyday life.
This course will be delivered online.To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a
microphone, and preferably a camera.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will look at the Feldenkrais principles and practice movements and discuss basic anatomy, focusing on stress and tension.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
.- Recognise your own movement and behavioural habits
- Name two Feldenkrais principles
- Identify ways to reduce unnecessary effort and tension in your own movement
- Participate in and explore a sequence of mindful movements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Everyone is welcome, no previous knowledge or experience is needed. However you should be able to get down on the floor and up again independently. If you have a disability or health concern, please contact the Health and Lifestyle department in advance. You should be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
If you have any health concerns, or have been affected by any of the conditions listed below, please consult with your health practitioner whether it is appropriate for you to take part in an exercise or movement workshop, and show a referral letter from them to your tutor. If this is not possible, you will be asked to sign the disclaimer accepting responsibility for my own health and do not hold City Lit responsible for any responses as a result of participating in a exercise / movement course.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Do you have epilepsy?
- Do you have asthma?
- Are you pregnant?
- Have you had any joint replacement?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course is based on practical learning and is verbally led. The tutor guides you through slow and small movement sequences with attention to your physical sensations. Movements are explored at your own pace and comfort with regular mini-rests. Many of the movements will be done lying on a mat. The tutor may give some short presentations on relevant topics.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Wear comfortable and loose clothing. As movements are gentle, you will need to make sure you will be warm enough for the duration of the workshop, as your body temperature may drop.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other course. From our Health & Wellbeing programme The Feldenkrais Method can be used to enhance your performance in activities such as dance, drama, music, singing, pilates, yoga, work and everyday life.