What is the course about?
To enable you to communicate at basic level in spoken Japanese in everyday situations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Introductions, weather, schedule, making plans,
shopping, street signs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Introduce yourself and greet people
- Ask the time at an airport or in the street
- Understand prices and simpel signs in a shop
- Order food and drinks
- Talk about the weather using adjectives
- Talk simply about your daily routine
- Read Hiragana
- introduce oneself
- ask for and give basic personal information
- talk simply about your routine
- understand prices and simple signs in a shop
- buy items
- order food in a restaurant.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-levelYou will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook: Japanese for Busy People 1 ,Kana version, Revised 3rd edition Kodansha USA. Lessons 1-6. We recommend that students attend the first session before buying the textbook. Please try: Grant and Cutler at Foyles-www.foyles.co.uk/languages (020 7437 5660).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Your tutor will advise you on the next suitable course.