What is the course about?
Learn how to recognise some sounds that are visible on the lips and how to use other tactics to support lipreading.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don’t have a computer. The classes work best using a desktop device. You can access the class using a tablet or phone but the screen size will limit your ability to lipread.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- learn which sounds can be seen, which look alike and why.
- develop an awareness of other skills used to lipread:
memory, concentration, observation, awareness of rhythm, situation, context, facial expression and body language.
This course will also give you strategies to manage situations that can be difficult with hearing loss as well as provide information on services and equipment that could helpful.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise visible speech sounds and their value
- recognise which consonants look alike on the lips
- understand the process of lipreading and the various skills used
- understand the factors that make lipreading easier.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have an acquired hearing loss and use spoken English to communicate with others.
Straightforward written sentences are used in exercises and on the board to confirm spoken words. No previous experience of lipreading is necessary. You may also like to attend this course to support a friend or family member who has hearing loss.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In class there will be group work, pair work, practical work, lecture, demonstration and discussion.
This will be taught through a mixture of live streaming and online content for home study.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring pen, notebook and A4 folder.
To access the online content you will need: an internet connection (the classes work best with Chrome); a computer for the best experience (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
From this course you will be able to progress to other lipreading classes of whatever level decided by mutual agreement and discussion.