What is the course about?
This course provides an introduction to one of the most popular and widely-used combinations of technologies used to produce dynamic web pages and is intended for anyone who has a basic knowledge of web page design or HTML who wants to learn how to write dynamic webpages
What will I learn?
How to start using PHP and MYSQL to produce webpages that can respond to user input and display information sources from outside the website.
What will we cover?
• What is PHP?
• Adding PHP code to a webpage
• Using webpages with PHP
• Creating web forms
• Processing web forms with PHP
• Making decisions with control statements
• An introduction to databases using MySQL
• Creating databases and table
• Adding/editing/viewing and deleting data from a database
• Using PHP to collect data via forms
• Using PHP to produce webpages displaying data from a database.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Learn the reasons for using PHP and MySQL in web design
- Be able to add PHP code to web pages
- Learn how to design and use databases
- Create web forms
- Process web forms with PHP.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of these technologies is required but students should have some knowledge of creating simple webpages using HTML and good general computing skills. You should be able to follow spoken instructions, read written instructions and information, and discuss work with your tutor in English.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a pen and notepad for note taking. Please bring in a USB pen drive.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details