Introduction to Python
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: CPPY08
Choose a start date
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is aimed at anyone who wants to learn a simple but powerful modern programming language. The course leads students from the basics of writing and running Python scripts to more advanced features such as file operations, working with data, and using Python modules.
What will we cover?
• An overview of Python
• What is Python?
• Compiled and Interpreted programming languages
• Downloading and installing Python
• Using the Python documentation
• The structure of a Python script
• Running Python scripts
• Using variables
• Managing text with String operators
• Managing numbers with Math operators
• Writing to the screen
• Reading from the keyboard
• The if and elif statements 'while' and 'for loops'
• Using lists
• List operations and methods
• Dealing with syntax errors
• Program Exceptions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Write Python scripts
• Use flow control structures
• Use Python to read and write files and handle external data
• Make their code robust by handling errors and exceptions properly
• Work with the Python code libraries.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Python or programming is required, but you should have good general computing skills. You should be able to follow spoken instructions, read written instructions and information, and discuss work with your tutor in English. If you are new to programming and would like to do some preparation for this course you may wish to try the following : Using the scratch tool use the graphical editor to draw a square http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/editor/.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
No external work required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our Programming and Maths courses or click here to view allour web development courses.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.