What is the course about?
This course is the entrance gate to a new way of appreciating and using extra virgin olive oil. It is an ancient product with more than 6,000 years history and this versatile product is still very important today. The course will cover how the oils are produced, their attributes, the different commercial categories and will also give an opportunity to taste the most important varieties from Spain.
What will we cover?
• Olive Oils across the world, Spain and in the UK marketplace
• Different categories of oil,
• The 4 main Spanish varieties,
• Describing extra virgin olive oil: flavours and aromas
• Introduction to olive oil tasting
• Health benefits,
• Olive oil competitions,.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Distinguish and understand between the commercial categories
• Describe an extra virgin olive oil using the same vocabulary as experts do
• Understand which criteria to look for when buying extra virgin olive oil.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Beginners level course and all you need is an interest into product tasting and appreciating aromas, textures, food origins.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Short talk, discussion and Powerpoint.
Practice approach to tasting comparing different categories and extra virgin olive oil produced with different varieties.
No work is required outside of class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pen and paper to take notes and please don't use to much perfume on the day (so it does not affect when tasting the oils).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Coffee, tea tasting maybe?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details