What is the course about?
This course is an introduction to Swahili, and is taught using the communicative method, so you will be speaking Swahili from the first lesson.
What will we cover?
The course will cover elementary Swahili grammar, vocabulary, and socio-cultural elements of the language providing students the opportunity to develop both productive and receptive skills.
Greet and meet people and introduce yourselves and others; give personal information: age, profession, nationality; buy or order food and drink.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- greet people
- introduce yourself and others
- give personal information
- ask for personal information
- count up to 100
- buy food and drinks in the market
- order food and drinks in a restaurant
- ask for price.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for complete beginners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on tutor's own material.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Speak to your teacher about possible progression routes.