What is the course about?
In this course, you will develop computer programming skills using Microsoft Excel and the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) language. These programming skills can be used to tackle a wide range of real-world problems.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Topic 1: Introduction to the VBA Environment
• Topic 2: Data types & built-in functions in VBA
• Topic 3: Modular programming I – Sub procedures
• Topic 4: Modular programming II – Function procedures
• Topic 5: Selective execution – If structures and Select Case structures
• Topic 6: Repetitive execution – Loops
• Topic 7: Arrays
• Topic 8: Putting it all together.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Input data and perform basic mathematical calculations within Excel spreadsheets.
• Utilize fundamental programming concepts such as variables, modular programming, decision structures, repetitive structures, and arrays to develop VBA programs that manipulate Excel spreadsheets and perform basic calculations.
• Comprehend the purpose and logic behind simple ready-made VBA programs, and will be able to predict the output of such programs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be at an Intermediate level in Excel. No experience in computer programming required.
You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions and be comfortable carrying out mathematical calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Another Microsoft application course: Excel: advanced, Excel: expert, Excel for financial modelling, Excel: analysing data Stage(1&2).