What is the course about?
This course will help you learn the more complex computer skills needed to work as a lead administrator, receptionist or secretary. You will learn how to carry out tasks needed to research information and then convert this into well-presented and easy to read documents for example in reports. You will learn how to edit and format information so it looks attractive and eye-catching. You will learn how to embed and insert the right sort of charts and also spreadsheets to make your data stand out. And you will then practise how to distribute your work using mail merge.
What will we cover?
• researching and using relevant information from the Internet.
• creating well-written and well-presented reports using key editing functions in Word
• creating and inserting the right type of chart to use for the type of data you have chosen
• integrating Microsoft Applications into your Word document
• mail merging your report using MS Outlook as a personalised email.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• carry out the key computer skills needed to work as an efficient administrator, receptionist
• or secretary
• research reliable information from the Internet, evaluate its relevance and check for accuracy
• transfer this information into a Word document and edit it effectively
• apply advanced page layout using page breaks and styles
• integrate a number of Microsoft Applications into your document
• create a spreadsheet and different chart types
• import and link data from a workbook into you report
• send your report as a personalised email to members of your class as well as your tutor using mail merge and your outlook contact list.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at those who have some familiarity with the Microsoft Office package ie. are out intermediate level but want to learn more specific skills needed to work on an office or run a small business. It is an excellent follow on from our Introductory IT Skills for the Office.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. It will be task-based with classroom activities re enacting tasks typically carried out in an office at an advanced level. Each student has their own computer and you will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do either at the same time or after this course. We have a number of courses on Word, Excel and Outlook many of which are specifically geared to developing your skills for the workplace. We also have Digital skills to find a better job, Making sense of Windows 10 and Touch typing and keyboard skills. We have a number of courses with qualifications including ECDL Level 2 and Level 3. You can try Pathway to ECDL if you are unsure if you want to do a qualification course straight away.
You may also be interested in our How to be an Administrator series - How to be an administrator: the essentials,
How to be an administrator: time management skills and How to be an administrator: the paperless office.
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.