ITEC Level 3 Award in Indian Head Massage
Time: 10:00 - 16:45
Location: Kean Street Wellbeing Centre
Check your level
Course Code: FNQ05
Choose a start date
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
You will learn how to give a full Indian Head massage. The ITEC level 3 Award in Indian Head Massage is a professionally recognised qualification which will enable you to add these exciting new techniques to your existing treatments, or use it as a therapy on its own. Useful when treating clients who do not wish to receive a full body massage.
Although many aspects of the treatment draw from a wide range of influences in the complementary field, the increased use of the treatment in spa's and salons means that the ITEC qualification now follows the beauty industry syllabus.
Theory exam date: TBC
Practical exam date: TBC
- You should be aware that a minimum of 80% attendance is necessary to complete the course.
- You are also expected to participate to the best of your ability
- You are expected to adhere to the colleges Equal Opportunities Policy while undertaking the course.
- The policies of the college will be discussed during the first session.
- Due to the nature of this course, you will not be entitled to transfer to a different course after the course has started.
What will we cover?
iUBT322 – Provide Indian head massage
Learning Object 1: Be able to prepare for Indian head massage
- History, Benefits and contraindications of Indian Head Massage.
- Prepare self, client and work area for Indian head massage
Learning Object 2: Be able to provide Indian head massage
- Professional conduct and behaviours
- Consultation and the importance of completing treatment records and evaluate the results of the treatment
- Details on the bones / muscles / nerves / blood vessels and lymphatics of the cranium and face.
- Skin and scalp conditions
- Provide Indian Head Massage
- Core subjects: Chakras, Marma. Ayurveda -Doshas and Oils.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Provide a full Indian Head Massage treatment
- Explain the contra-indications that prevent or restrict Indian Head Massage
- Explain the effects and benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Be able to take and record treatment notes and case histories
- Communicate and behave in a professional manner
- Describe the structure and functions of the skin and hair
- Be able to recognise skin and scalp conditions
- Describe the structure of the bone of the neck, upper back, head and arms
- Outline the muscles in the upper back, neck, head and arms
- Explain or define the meaning or concepts of Chakras, Marmas, Ayurveda
- Meet the standard required by ITEC to use this treatment professionally.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
ITEC Level 3 Award
There are no pre requisites for enrolling on to this course.
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to include:
Be able to use different texts to obtain and summarise information
Detect opinion, meaning and respond to points made within a text
Use different styles, format and structure, formal and informal for different purposes or audiences
Write complex sentences with few errors
Be able to listen to information and respond appropriately
Present information clearly and adapt verbal contributions to suit the audience and situation including discussions
Extract, interpret and create information from lists, tables, graphs and charts
Understand percentages and fractions, using halves and quarters
ICT (Information & communication technology):
-Using ICT systems – Windows, Microsoft Office
-Finding, selecting and exchanging information – (web, email)
-Working with word processing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course content will be both Theoretical and Practical.
The teaching methods used will include: Talk by tutor - Group work - Pair work - Massage work - Movement work - completing Case Histories - Videos - and much more.
YOU WILL REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 3 - 5 HOURS WORK EACH WEEK OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME
- You will need to find clients to undertake case studies outside of the class time.
- It is essential that you have access to a massage couch outside of class.
- You will need to also have access to a computer and the internet in order to research project work.
(facilities are available at City Lit)
This is a professional practitioner course including business elements. The use of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) skills is also required.
ALL ASSIGNMENTS, CASE STUDIES AND TREATMENT EVIDENCE FORMS MUST BE WORD PROCESSED.
City Lit is committed to the delivery of functional skills, the supported learning centre has various resources for students without access to computers or the internet.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You must wear a professional uniform for the practical elements and exams of all ITEC courses. The collage will provide a branded Polo Shirt, this is included in the course fees. You will be provided with 1 (unisex) Polo shirt.
You will need to provide your own trousers and shoes. The trousers should be smart black trousers, notracksuits or joggers will be allowed. Shoes need to be Black, closed toes and flat - Sketches shoes or something similar are a good choice, trainers are ok but they need to be fully black and not blazoned with logos or coloured stripes etc.
THE UNIFORM COSTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEES, THERE IS NO REDUCTION IN THE COURSE FEES FOR STUDENTS WISHING TO PROVIDE THEIR OWN UNIFORM. If students wish to provide their own uniform, it must meet the standards set by the institute.
All practical materials will be provided by the collage (towels, wipes, hand gel, massage mediums, tissues etc). You do not need to bring any of these items to collage.
For home practice, you will need to provide your own resources / materials such as:
- One towel
- Massage mediums
- ANTIBACTERIAL wet wipes
- Tissues etc.
For class, you will need to provide your own writing materials etc (note paper, pens, pencils, etc.)
COURSE BOOKS - tutor will provide a recommended reading list on commencement of the course
The exam fee is included in the course cost. This fee is non-refundable and the exams must be taken on the date set by the Institute.
As an accredited course you will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence. This will be completed online and your tutor will provide instruction of how this will be completed, presented and submitted.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a range of other ITEC courses in the Health and Wellbeing programme such as Sports Massage, Reflexology or Aromatherapy.
Ameena Rahman ITEC Tutor and Complementary Therapist Ameena has been working as a qualified complementary therapist for over a decade. Her community-based therapy practice extends to the heart of communities, including hospices and vulnerable groups. Ameena is passionate about preventative health and plays an active role in promoting screening and facilitating health & well-being workshops in the community. She holds a Diploma in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector and teaches accredited and introductory courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Swedish Massage, Aromatherapy and Indian Head Massage. Ameena has been teaching at City Lit College for several years and thoroughly enjoys it. Her teaching style reflects her personality in creating an open, engaging and reflective learning environment which fosters good working relationships in preparation for working with people in the community. She believes the holistic and person-centred approach is an important foundation for any career within complementary therapies.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.