What is the course about?
You will learn how to give a full Indian Head massage. The ITEC level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage is a professionally recognised qualification which will enable you to add these exciting new techniques to your existing treatments, or use it as a therapy on its own. Useful when treating clients who do not wish to receive a full body massage.
Although many aspects of the treatment draw from a wide range of influences in the complementary field, the increased use of the treatment in spa's and salons means that the ITEC qualification now follows the beauty industry syllabus.
Theory exam date: 6th June 2020
Practical exam date: 14th June 2020
- You should be aware that a minimum of 80% attendance is necessary to complete the course.
- You are also expected to participate to the best of your ability
- You are expected to adhere to the colleges Equal Opportunities Policy while undertaking the course.
- The policies of the college will be discussed during the first session.
- Due to the nature of this course, you will not be entitled to transfer to a different course after the course has started.
Please note that you are required to obtain a First Aid Certificate whilst on the course or be working towards one:- City Lit offers one day Emergency First Aid at Work courses, which will suitable for your requirements (this is an additional course with separate fees).
What will we cover?
Unit 827 - Provide Indian Head Massage
- Details on the bones / nerves / blood vessels and lymphatics of the cranium and face.
- History, Benefits and contraindications of Indian Head Massage.
- Skin and scalp conditions
- A full Indian Head Massage treatment
- Core subjects.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Give a full Indian Head Massage treatment
- Be able to recognise Skin and scalp conditions
- Be able to take case histories
- Meet the standard required by ITEC to use this treatment professionally.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
ITEC Level 3
TO GAIN ENTRY TO THIS COURSE, YOU WILL NEED:
- To have successfully completed the ITEC Level 3 massage diploma (or equivalent)
For a qualification to be considered an equivalent, it must be a level 3 certificate or diploma and be registered under: The Qualifications and Credit Framework: QCF.
If you do not have a QCF qualification, it is YOUR responsibility to have the qualification validated by the appropriate awarding body. There may be charges associated with this which are not included in the course fees.
If you have an international qualification, then you can use the NARIC validation service, www.naric.org.uk
There is a charge for this service and again, this is not included in the course fees.
CITY LIT DOES NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU FAIL TO VALIDATE YOUR QUALIFICATION AND ARE SUBSEQUENTLY UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE COURSE. IN ADDITION YOU WILL STILL BE LIABLE FOR PAYMENT OF THE COURSE FEES.
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to include:
Be able to use different texts to obtain and summarise information
Detect opinion, meaning and respond to points made within a text
Use different styles, format and structure, formal and informal for different purposes or audiences
Write complex sentences with few errors
Be able to listen to information and respond appropriately
Present information clearly and adapt verbal contributions to suit the audience and situation including discussions
Extract, interpret and create information from lists, tables, graphs and charts
Understand percentages and fractions, using halves and quarters
ICT (Information & communication technology):
-Using ICT systems – Windows, Microsoft Office
-Finding, selecting and exchanging information – (web, email)
-Working with word processing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course content will be both Theoretical and Practical.
The teaching methods used will include: Talk by tutor - Group work - Pair work - Massage work - Movement work - completing Case Histories - Videos - and much more.
YOU WILL REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 3 - 5 HOURS WORK EACH WEEK OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME
- You will need to find clients to undertake case studies outside of the class time.
- It is essential that you have access to a massage couch outside of class.
- You will need to also have access to a computer and the internet in order to research project work.
(facilities are available at City Lit)
This is a professional practitioner course including business elements. The use of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) skills is also required.
ALL ASSIGNMENTS, CASE STUDIES AND TREATMENT EVIDENCE FORMS MUST BE WORD PROCESSED.
City Lit is committed to the delivery of functional skills, the supported learning centre has various resources for students without access to computers or the internet.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You must wear a professional uniform for the practical elements and exams of all ITEC courses. The cost of this uniform is included in the course fees. You will be provided with 1 (unisex) uniform, the trousers have an elasticated drawstring waist.
THE UNIFORM COSTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEES, THERE IS NO REDUCTION IN THE COURSE FEES FOR STUDENTS WISHING TO PROVIDE THEIR OWN UNIFORM. If students wish to provide their own uniform, it must meet the standards set by the institute.
- One towel (any colour towel may be used during course, WHITE TOWELS MUST BE USED FOR FINAL EXAM)
- Massage mediums
- ANTIBACTERIAL wet wipes
- two foolscap folders (one for course notes and one for case studies)
- some writing materials (note paper, pens, pencils, etc.)
COURSE BOOKS - tutor will provide a recommended reading list on commencement of the course
The exam fee is included in the course cost. This fee is non-refundable and the exams must be taken on the date set by the Institute.
As an accredited course you will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence. This may incur charges for printing, photocopying and stationary which is not included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a range of other ITEC courses in the Health and Movement Studies programme such as Sports Massage, Reflexology or Aromatherapy.