ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy
Time: 10:00 - 16:45
Location: KWC - Kean Street Wellbeing Centre
Many of our graduate therapists find work in the NHS, hospice or other healthcare settings. This is an ideal course for those wishing to work in the Health and Beauty industry.
COVID 19 - the Theory and Practical elements will be taught in class. However, if government guidelines change, some of the theoretical modules may be taught online. The college will provide all necessary PPE required. Please complete an online application form, and read the full course outline before applying.
The course fee is £1559, plus an upfront fee of £50 payable at the time of your enrolment. If you are unable to pay the course fees, you can choose to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from Student Finance England (SFE) to help cover the course fee, repayable after the course ends. A deposit of £0 is also payable to secure your place (refundable after you complete the course). You can find more information about the Advanced Learner Loan www.citylit.ac.uk/advanced-learner-loans
For more information, please call Health & wellbeing on 020 7492 2622.
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
This course has now started
Course Code: FQQ50
Duration: 23 sessions (over 27 weeks)
What is the course about?
This is a comprehensive course that will provide you with 3 industry required qualifications.
1. ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy
2. ITEC Level 2 Award in Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for Complementary Therapies and Sports Massage
3. VTCT Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
This is an extensive course covering all theoretical and practical aspects of Aromatherapy. The course provides a progressive learning structure enabling you to reach the standard set out by ITEC syllabus and complete a practical exam. On successful completion of the course students will gain the ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council) Diploma in Aromatherapy which will allow you to gain insurance via EMBODY and practise Aromatherapy professionally.
- You should be aware that a minimum of 80% attendance is necessary to complete the course.
- Students will be required to undertake 60 case studies
- Due to the nature of this course, you will not be entitled to transfer to a different course after the course has started.
Please note that your exam dates are set by ITEC, and cannot be changed.
The ITEC COVID-19 Infection Prevention course is a compulsory unit and must be completed in order to gain your massage qualification. This will be taught online. No additional fees apply.
As First Aid is a professional requirement, we have incorporated the Level 3 Emergency First Aid at Work qualification into the course programme. This will be completed after your Massage training and exams have taken place. No additional fees apply.
What will we cover?
This is an integrated course consisting of four units:
- iUCT38: Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies
- iUCT21: Principles and practice of complementary therapies
- iUCT34: Business practice for complementary therapies
- iUCT40: Provide aromatherapy for complementary therapies
The course is wide ranging and you will cover the following from the ITEC syllabus:
Theory: The history, definition and development of Aromatherapy; concepts and theories as to how and why it works; therapeutic effects - psychological; philosophy of complementary medicine; essential oils - what they are and their countries of origin and how they are produced; therapeutic properties of essential oils; use, care and storage of oils, base oils and ancillary products, a knowledge of carrier oils and their effects and benefits, introduction to other natural therapies; simple blending of oils/synergies; dangers of overdose and safety considerations; contraindications - possible reaction to treatment for practitioner and client; professionalism and ethics, consultations, case histories and record keeping. Anatomy, physiology and pathology; basic knowledge and recognition of skin types; integral biology; principles and practices of complementary therapies and business practices.
Practical: A good working knowledge of 42 essential oils; client/patient assessment procedures to include recognition of common ailments, physical/psychological health, posture, recognition of skin types; referral procedures for liaising with medical practitioners; aromatherapy massage - full body, facial, scalp; frequency and duration of treatment to suit individual requirements of the client; selection and blending of oils; consultation and case history taking and record keeping; other uses of essential oils; lymph drainage and pressure points; use of creams, masques, compresses, clay pots and bath oils; and methods of application (massage, inhalation, burners etc.).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Prepare yourself and an appropriate treatment environment in accordance with current legislation and working practice
- Consult with clients, recognise and evaluate contraindications and precautions and recognise referral procedures
- Perform and be able to adapt aromatherapy treatments where necessary
- Blend and apply essential oils
- Identify methods of extraction, chemical constituents, storage and blending techniques of over 42 oils
- Utilise a variety of treatment methods to include: massage, compresses, inhalation, clay work
- Detail the history, philosophy and role of Aromatherapy and evaluate its physiological and psychological effects
- Explain the structure, function and nature of plants in relation to essential and fixed oils and other media
- Provide suitable after care advice
- Reach the standard required to sit the theory and practical examinations set by ITEC.
On successful completion of the course, students should be able to set up in practice as an Aromatherapist, working within a standard code of professional ethics enabling them to obtain professional insurance to practise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 3 course. There are no prerequisites required. This is a Level 3 course. There are no prerequisites required, however, due to the intensity of the course we recommend that you attend one, or both, of the following courses prior to enrolling on this course:
'Massage: Access to level 3' or 'Massage: an introduction' - a six week, or shorter introduction to massage basics
'Anatomy and Physiology; access to level 3' - a six week introduction to the body systems
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to complete assignments to the required standard. If you are unsure whether you meet the required standard, please contact the department on Health@citylit.ac.uk.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching methods include lectures, discussions, power point presentation, group work, Q&A, role play, demonstrations, practical and pair work.
A minimum of ten hours of home study per week is essential to successfully complete this course.
- You will need to find clients to undertake case studies outside of the class time.
- It is essential that you have access to a massage couch outside of class.
- You will need to also have access to a computer and the internet in order to research project work (facilities are available at City Lit).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to purchase your own oils, which is a substantial cost.
You can purchase a kit of 42 aromatherapy oils. These are available from www.naturaltoucharomatherapy.com
Kit 14 ITEC 42 Essential Oils mainly 10 ml - £210
Please note, these details are provided for your information only, City Lit is not responsible for any purchases. OTHER SUPPLIERS ARE AVAILABLE.
COURSE BOOKS - An Introductory Guide to Aromatherapy by Louise Tucker - further recommended reading will be provided by the tutor.
• Massage oil (sweet almond or grapeseed)
• Course books
• Folders for handouts
• Pen and paper
The college will provide towels for practice and exams. You will need your own towels for performing treatments on clients outside of City Lit.
The college will also provide each student with one (non-gender specific) scrub uniform
The exam fee is included in the course cost. This fee is non-refundable and the exams must be taken on the date set by the Institute.
As an accredited course you will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence. This may incur charges for printing, photocopying and stationary which is not included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Setting up your own practice. Expand your skills with other professional practitioner courses such as: Reflexology; Deep Tissue Massage; Indian Head Massage; Facial Skincare, or one of our many CPD courses.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.