What is the course about?
This course has been specifically designed to develop the learner’s knowledge and understanding of how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and how to work safely. Learners will develop knowledge on the importance of social responsibility, the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19, and the methods used to control transmission, such as correct hand hygiene and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). They will also gain an understanding of the safe working practices required to protect themselves and their clients.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- How infection can spread - causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19
- Social responsibility for the complementary therapy and sports massage sectors in relation to COVID-19
- The importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Potential hazards and risks and the workplace procedures necessary
- Decontamination and waste management processes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- LO1: Understand the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19
- LO2: Understand social responsibility for the complementary therapy and sports massage sectors in relation to COVID-19
- LO3: Understand the controls necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- LO4: Understand the importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Hand Hygiene and Personal Hygiene in the prevention of COVID-19
- LO5: Understand potential hazards and risks and the workplace procedures necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the complementary therapy/sports massage environment
- LO6: Understand decontamination and waste management processes relevant to complementary therapies and sports massage.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 2 Award certified by ITEC / VTCT
The course is at basic level, but involves a multiple choice online exam. No previous knowledge is needed to join the course but an interest in Complementary Therapies or Sports Massage is helpful.
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to include:
- Reading: Be able to use different texts to obtain and summarise information; Detect meaning and respond to points made within a text, summarise and re-present it clearly.
- Writing: Write sentences with few errors.
- Numeracy/Maths: Basic abilities
- ICT (Information and communication technology): Use ICT systems including Windows and Google Classroom. Find, select and exchange information using web and email; Work with Word processing.
You will require access to a computer or laptop.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is an online home-study only course.
Coursework will be presented and delivered online using PowerPoints and digital handouts. The estimated time required to complete this course is 4-5 hours and you will be required to complete this at home. You will be also be required to complete a workbook as part of the ongoing assessment process and any other assessments (quizzes / tests) as a compulsary requirement.
The course has 6 sections that need to be learnt over a set period of time (approximately 6 weeks, unless stated otherwise), it is the responsibility of the leaner to complete the set work.
Learners will be required to sit an online exam either at the College or remotely as requested by the College. The exam dates are set and cannot be changed.
Exam Date: 12th and 13th December 2020 (depending on enrollment numbers)
Time: multiple slots throughout the day. You will be informed of your exam time slot after enrolment.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Massage; ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy; ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage; ITECL Level 2 in Providing Facial Skincare; ITEC Level 3 Diploma In Indian Head Massage: ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology; ITEC Level 4 and 5 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy.