What is the course about?
In this course, you will be able to increase your fluency in understanding and speaking Japanese, consolidate the basic structure of the language and also extend your knowledge by working on more complex grammatical structure and functions. You will acquire a greater understanding of Japanese culture and customs.
What will we cover?
Opinions, direct and indirect questions, casual expressions, clauses, Kanji in sentences, Kanji compounds, today’s Japan.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Saying your opinion
• Exchanging your opinion about life in Japan ( food, transport, habit or people etc )
• Passing on someone’s message
• Talking to your friends
•Use of formal, informal speech
• Describing things or people, your preference
• Talk about organising a party and what to prepare ( food, drinks, booking shops, games etc.. )
• Make recommendations
• Understand Japanese culture and current affairs (news, comics, drama)
• Understand authentic conversations
• Understand Kanji in sentences
• Write Kanji and compound words.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have completed Japanese for Busy People 1-revised edition 3, book 2
( Lesson 1-6 & 8*partly ) or have an equivalent knowledge of the language and be fluent in Hiragana and Katakana with some basic knowledge of Kanji.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• active students’ interaction
• emphasis on speaking and listening skills
• pair and group work
• role plays
• use of realia, pictures and authentic material
• use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook: Japanese for Busy People 1 Kana version Revised edition 3, Kodansha USA. Book 2 Lesson 8 & 9.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details