Japanese 4 upper: module 3
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
Suitable if you have studied Japanese for about 6 years or equivalent.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LJ433
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this course, you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge of sentence structures and grammatical functions to understand more advanced and complex expressions. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to improve your speaking and listening skills as well as consolidate your reading and writing skills.
We will cover a wide range of everyday situations, including cultural information about Japan and focus on improving your conversational Japanese.
This course is suitable for the learners who have studied Japanese for about 6 years or have completed 'Japanese 4 lower' and ‘Japanese 4 upper module 1’ or equivalent.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Based on lessons 2 Japanese for Busy People Volume 3.
Nominalizing sentences, describing methods or circumstances, the effects of an action, your efforts and purposes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Nominalize sentences using "koto" (review)
- Indicate methods or describe circumstances “~te or ~de”, “~naide” (review)
- Indicate methods or describe circumstances “~zuni/”
- Describe deliberate effect “~teiru”
- Express the effects of an action using “~tearu"
- Express purposes "yoni"
- Describe your efforts using "yoni suru", "yoni shiteiru"
- Common phrases using "koto"
- Talk about ways of doing things
- Explain how to use facilities
- Understand the various compound words using kanji
- Use polite and casual speech (review).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced course. Ideally you have passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Exam N5, or you should have completed Japanese for Busy People Volume 1 and 2, as well as Japanese for Busy People Volume 3 unit 1.
Students should be able to read and write read and write Hiragana and Katakana as well as have some knowledge of Kanji.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Active student interaction
- Emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- Pair and group work
- Discussions and role plays
- Use of realia, pictures and authentic materials
- Use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Japanese for Busy People book 3- Revised 3rd edition.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please ask your teacher or check our web pages for more information about courses in the new academic year.
Rie came to Britain in 2004 to study a BA in Ceramics and Wood after working as an Art Director/Graphic Designer for 17 years in Tokyo. Learning a language as an adult changed her life, enabling her to study at university again and to start a new life abroad. Rie believes that learning and teaching a language can change someone’s life and this is why she is fascinated by teaching Japanese to adult learners. After completing her MA in Ceramics and Glass in 2012, Rie obtained a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language in 2016 whilst also teaching Ceramics in an adult education college and Japanese Pottery at a college as a visiting lecturer. She then started teaching Japanese both privately and at a language school where she gained valuable experience teaching at all levels. Since 2019, Rie has been teaching Japanese at City Lit at all levels from complete beginners to advanced. Her teaching materials, which include original handouts, reflect her background in art design and culture and help learners enjoy speaking and listening.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.