What is the course about?
On this course you will consolidate the structures of Japanese and extend your knowledge by working on more complex grammatical structures and functions. You will develop the four linguistic skills with particular emphasis on spoken /conversational Japanese.
What will we cover?
Different styles of Japanese conversation, grammar patterns, written composition, Kanji, contemporary and historical Japanese culture. Additional topics will be negotiated in class at the start of the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand with more ease conversations among native Japanese speakers
- Participate in everyday conversation across a wide range of topics - from your personal interests to Japanese current affairs
- Expand your knowledge and the use of grammar patterns
- Use a wider range of vocabulary
- Write for different purposes
- Recognize Kanji and understand its meaning in different written forms
- Talk about Japanese culture and current affairs, using various media.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is ideal for those who passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Exam N4 or those who have studied Japanese for over 6 years.A knowledge of Kanji and how to use the Kanji dictionary is necessary.
If you have experience of living in Japan over 2 years, please contact the languages department for further advice.
5. How will I be taught, and will there be.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Active students' interaction
Emphasis on speaking and listening skills
Pair and group work, and discussion
Use of realia, pictures and authentic material
Use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese Advanced: module 3 in April.