Japanese beginners: module 1
Time: 19:00 - 20:30
Based on Japanese for Busy People 1, Kana version, revised 3rd edition (Kodansha International).
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LJ190
Available start dates
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
To enable you to communicate at a basic level in spoken Japanese in everyday situations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
JFBP L1- 6 ( partially )
Introduce yourself and others
Talk about nationalities and occupations
Talk about your schedule
Talk about the weather
Talk about your plans
Make enquiries and express your needs when shopping
Read useful street signs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Introduce yourself and greet people (names, nationalities and jobs)
- Use daily expressions
- Ask the time (international) at an airport or in the street
- Ask for the opening and closing times, start and ending times
- Shopping: ask for prices and buy what you want
- Order food and drinks
- Talk about the weather using adjectives
- Talk about your daily routine, using days of the week and months, etc.
- Talk about your weekend or holiday plan using simple verbs
- Read Hiragana.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For complete beginners.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook: Japanese for Busy People 1 ,Kana version, Revised 3rd edition Kodansha USA. Lessons 1-6. We
recommend that students attend the first session before buying the textbook.
1) Please try the European Bookshop by selecting 'City Lit' and the language you are studying at this web page or call them at 020 7734 5259. If you state on the website, by phone or in the shop that you are studying with us, you can claim a 10% discount. You might be asked for your student number.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese beginners module 2. Please enrol as soon as possible as spaces cannot be guaranteed.
Please check the website for workshops.
Hisaka is a passionate educator of all ages, bringing over 15 years of experience in teaching Japanese language and culture to CityLit. Growing up in Tokyo, Japan, Hisaka initially came to the UK for postgraduate study, specialising in Education. Following a stint working in the City, Hisaka’s focus moved to her love of teaching, becoming a central figure Japanese language learning in the UK through teaching in secondary schools and in adult education. She has also presented training seminars at Japan Foundation, volunteered for the Japanese In Your Classroom Programme of the Japan Society in both primary and secondary schools and is an accredited GCSE/A level subject expert to Ofqual.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.