What is the course about?
This Japanese Holiday Kit is intended for beginning learners and those with no previous knowledge of Japanese who are planning to visit Japan. This two-day course will focus on speaking and listening, helping you feel more confident about making yourself understood when you're in Japan.
What will we cover?
This short course will cover the most common scenarios you're likely to find yourself in, whether it be asking for directions, ordering food and drink or making sure you're on the right train.You'll also get some invaluable cultural advice and tips on what foods/drinks to try from your Japanese tutor.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Greet others and introduce yourself
- Ask someone to speak more slowly or to repeat what they've said
- Make purchases in a shop
- Order food and drink and express preferences (e.g. if you're a vegetarian or vegan)
- Ask questions when you're in the airport or at a train station
- Communicate effectively if you have to visit the chemist.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge of Japanese is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Material provided by the teacher. Please bring a folder for your handouts.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese Beginners: Module 1.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details