What is the course about?
The course will introduce you to the history of onsen in Japan and will explore the different regions and styles of onsen that are available. It will also give you some practical tips on how to make the most of your experience.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The history of the onsen and their significance for Japanese people. Etiquette on how to use the onsen. Some key vocabulary and useful expressions.The different styles of onsen available. The onsen Inn and regional onsen in Japan.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Have the confidence to use and enjoy a Japanese onsen
• Understand the significance of the onsen in Japanese history and society
• Understand the etiquette involved in using an onsen
•Identify the health benefits of the onsen
• Identify good onsen places in Japan.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No knowledge of Japanese is necessary. In this workshop you will learn some Japanese expressions.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Introduced in English, pair and group discussions throughout the lesson, use of visual aids and handouts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any Japanese courses advertised in the course guide and on our website. You can also ask your tutor for advice.