What is the course about?
Learn to play and improvise over a variety of jazz tunes with confidence in your aural skills (hearing what you are going to play) and with a good understanding of harmonic structures (chords) and time feel (swing, funk and latin). Develop aural skills necessary for playing in jazz & popular styles.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Rhythm: pulse, groove, off beats, groupings, cross rhythms, different time signatures
- Melody: intervals, major scale and modes, blues scale, and harmonic minor scale
- Phrasing: use of space, call and response, articulation, dynamics
- Harmony: triads, inversions, 7th chords, notation, chord scale relationships
- Repertoire drawn from a range of jazz, Latin and contemporary styles
- establish practice methods and a routine
- pursue ear training systematically.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand and use major scale in diatonic sequences
- Understand and use blues scale in blues sequences
- Understand and use chords I - VII from major scale
- Understand and use the minor II-V-I sequence.
- Understand and play in Latin and swing time.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should already understand basic harmony (triads, major and minor scale construction); be able to read and write music; be at a good standard on your instrument or with your voice, and capable of expressing musical ideas.
Minimum playing standard is to be able to play all 12 major and relative minor scales.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be lots of playing, singing, clapping, ear training and listening to recorded examples. You will play along in live online sessions, and complete some music writing assignments. There will also be some interactive lecture-style teaching with frequent opportunities for discussion. For some tasks you will be required to record your playing.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will play your instrument and use manuscript paper. All course materials and resources will be supplied in the google classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
A further term of practical study will be scheduled.