What is the course about?
Learn to play jazz standards with demanding harmonic, rhythmic and melodic issues. Consolidate and develop the work covered in previous jazz piano courses. Improvise and accompany ("comp") with greater confidence and skill.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- The role of the piano in a rhythm section, and as a solo instrument
- Playing standards that include minor/altered harmony, substitution of dominant chords, and modal harmony
- Developing your ability to improvise on the study tunes
- left hand chords practice
- bassline duty.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Improve your sense of time, and range of grooves
- Build confidence to play in public
- Read charts effectively; memorise tunes and harmonic sequences
- Expand your repertoire
- 'Comp' as part of a piano duo
- Build and play solos
- Become a reliable accompanist
- navigate a lead sheet efficiently.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have an intermediate level of jazz piano skill and understanding. You should have successfully completed jazz piano courses, or have playing experience that has given you confidence and know-how in the use of scales and modes, patterns, swing & latin rhythms, common jazz chord progressions, and extended chord voicing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We'll play 'together' in live online sessions. Tutorial input on aural and theoretical matters, and some demonstration.
There will be some solo playing, and duets where one player features and the other accompanies. You are encouraged to record your private practice and submit recordings for appreciation and assessment.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have manuscript for class notes. All music materials supplied.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress to jazz harmony & ear training study, and jazz ensemble activities.