What is the course about?
Develop and maintain your ability to play and improvise over jazz standards in swing and Latin syles. Consolidate harmony, voicing options and time/groove matters.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Essential playing material that is between 12 and 36 bars in length
- More harmonically interesting chord changes in turnarounds
- Modal tunes and modal playing
- melodic minor harmony
- practise improvising
- left hand chord practice
- How to practise; what to practise
- sharing ideas and inspirations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play repertoire - old and new
- Solo over the tunes
- Invent intros, endings, and create basslines
- Comp (accompany) effectively
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of how to play in swing and latin time
- record your playing competently.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have substantial experience of listening to jazz piano and the ability to understand and interpret chord changes in standards. You must be confident in your use of scales and modes, be well versed in minor key harmony, and have worked with melodic minor harmony.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through tutorial input with appropriate individual help / advice and practising to a metronome and/or rhythm section backings. Mostly you will play and rehearse simultaneously at your own piano. Some solo presentations. You will submit solo recordings for assessment and advice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Use manuscript paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress to Jazz harmony ear training & ensembles courses.
You may also be interested in courses such as Township jazz, Afro Cuban ensemble, Latin piano.