Jewellery: wax carving for beginners
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
Learn about the basics of wax carving for jewellery making and create your own design in wax. You will be introduced to different types of wax and their applications and learn to use a variety of wax carving tools. Learn about the casting process and where to outsource this service.
What will we cover?
- different types of waxes and their application
- wax carving for jewellery and suitable designs
- wax carving tools
- the lost wax casting process
- where to outsource casting (the casting itself will not be done on this course, but should you wish to do so, your tutor will advise).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify different types of waxes and their properties
- Name and use a range of wax carving tools
- Apply your own design in wax
- Name at least 3 casting services for outsourcing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be taught in a fully equipped jewellery workshop. You will be taught by a series of demonstrations and presentations, followed by individual practice and 1-to-1 tutoring for individual advice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
City Lit provides most of the tools and equipment you will need, including a range of wax carving tools and a selection of different waxes for you to choose from.
You can bring along a design you would like to apply in wax.
You are advised that sensible footwear must be worn in the studio. For health and safety reasons no sandals, open shoes or small pumps can be worn, even in hot weather.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current offer for complementary courses.