What is the course about?
This CPD course will help you to develop and expand your bodywork skills. You will learn techniques that are safe and effective when working with frailer older adults or with those that are less mobile. You will learn how to support and promote joint mobility, flexibility and ease of movement.As well as some simple stretches to increase muscular relaxation and improve blood circulation. These techniques require no oil as they are administered through clothes and can be easily integrated into your current form of bodywork.
What will we cover?
- Relevant anatomy & physiology of the joints
- Differentiating between the natural ageing process and illness
- Treatment sequences for prone, supine and side positions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Perform a safe and effective sequence of therapeutic techniques and stretches in supine and side positions
- Review anatomy & physiology of the joints
- Identify the natural physiological changes of the aging process
- Identify some common disorders
- Demonstrate improved client care when working with frailty.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students who already hold the ITEC Holistic Massage diploma or equivalent
You should be able to: Read simple sentences, write a short text, follow instructions, ask and respond to straightforward questions. Clarify and confirm understanding. Read time in common date formats.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-BODYWORK CHECK LIST BELOW:
The following list is to be used as a guide when undertaking a professional course in body work. We have strict guidelines as we aim to protect the health and safety of students in training whilst providing widest possible access. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake a bodywork course and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. Otherwise please do not enrol on the course.
- An untreated medical condition
- Spinal injuries
- A recent operation
- Severe skin disorders
- Severe mental illness
- On medication
- Cardiovascular disorders (high blood pressure, severe varicose veins, heart problems, thrombosis)
- Bone or joint disorders (Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis)
- Pregnancy (or post natal)
- Endocrine disorders
- Knee Problems (for Shiatsu, Thai massage and introductory massage courses only)
- Is there anything else we should know about your health before you enrol for a course? If there is, please let the Health & Movement Studies team know.
If accepted onto a course, a student could be given alternative practical tasks and adjustments may be made where reasonable. However, a student could be asked to leave the course if any situation were to arise which could endanger the well being of that student, or any other student. It is, for instance, not suitable to work on another student if you are taking medication that affects your concentration or if you have uncontrolled fits which could cause a danger to others during a relevant activity.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Discussion, demonstration, practice, feedback and questions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No oil is used. Please wear loose comfortable clothing and suitable shoes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any of our CPD or bodywork related courses: Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Deep Tissue Massage, Sports massage, scar massage, etc. Or chose from a wide range of modalities offered on our website.